Go to top of page
Close
 
Close
ROS Top

History of Humble, TX

History of Humble, TX

Humble is located at 29'42" North, 95'54" West (29.994920, -95.264873) According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 25.6 km.




Just before the Civil War, a wandering fisherman named P.S. (Pleasant) Humble brought his family into the area. They settled on the banks of the San Jacinto River and operated a ferry near the present U.S. 59 crossing. A flood drove his family away from the river in search of higher ground. Soon a small community began forming in the area.

A pioneer oil boom town. Originated as crossroads community named for settler Pleasant Smith Humble (1835?-1912), who lived here before 1889, hewing his timber into railroad ties, mining gravel from his land, keeping store, and serving as justice of the peace. Neighbors included the Bender, Durdin, Isaacks, Lee, Slaughter, and Williams families.




Economic bases were farms and sawmills. The post office opened 1902. In 1904 C. E. Barrett (1866-1926) drilled for oil in this area, securing small production on Moonshine Hill. On Jan. 7, 1905, he brought in the No. 2 Beaty Well which yielded 8,500 barrels a day, opening the great boom. From a village of 700, Humble grew at once into a town of 20,000. Field production-- the largest in Texas for the year 1905-- was 15,594,923 barrels of oil. The field was named for the town. A group of its operators, including Ross S. Sterling, later (1931-33) governor of Texas, in 1911 incorporated a new oil company named for the field, The Humble Oil Company, thus spreading into the annals of world commerce the town's name. Production from several strata here exceeded the total for fabulous Spindletop by 1946. Known as the greatest salt dome field, Humble still produces and the town for which it was named continued to thrive.




The Humble Oil Company's name was changed to Exxon two decades ago. The opening of Houston Intercontinental Airport was a major local growth catalyst on the late 1960's. Located less than five miles from Humble, this event stimulated development throughout Houston's north side. Soon, subdivision development was initiated nearby. The resultant growth started a transformation of the City of Humble and the surrounding rural homestead areas. Kingwood, Forest Cove, Northshire, Atascocita, Eagle Springs, Summerwood, The Commons of Lake Houston just to name a few.



Along with the rapidly increasing growth of population came the need for more stores and services. Much of the retail growth occurred in Humble, but substantial commercial development also occurred in Kingwood and Atascocita. Opening in the mid-1980's, the one million square-foot Deerbrook Mall became the area's major commercial center.



As of the 2000 census there are 5,460 households out of which 37.0% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.6% are married couples living together, 16.8% have a female householder with no husband present, and 33.1% are non-families. 26.3% of all households are made up of individuals and 5.9% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.62 and the average family size is 3.18.



In the city the population is spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 12.3% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 8.5% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 30 years. For every 100 females there are 96.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 91.4 males.



The median income for a household in the city is $37,834, and the median income for a family is $46,399. Males have a median income of $34,434 versus $26,988 for females. The per capita income for the city is $17,678. 15.5% of the population and 12.2% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 22.2% are under the age of 18 and 7.4% are 65 or older.

Humble, Texas Historical Markers



Humble Cemetery - Humble (227)

This cemetery is believed to be the town of Humble's oldest. The earliest documented burial is that of Joseph Dunman (1867-1879). Also believed to be buried here in an unmarked grave is Jane Elizabeth Humble, wife of the community's founder, Pleasant Humble. The first legal record of the cemetery appears in a deed transferring the cemetery property from Jonas Altmont to trustees in 1914. Civil War veteran Houston Young and several World War I veterans are also interred here. This cemetery serves as a reflection of Humble's pioneer heritage.


Humble Lodge No. 979, A.F. & A.M. - Humble (164)

Near the turn of the century, the town of Humble was home to many Masons who were members of lodges located in nearby towns. With the help of local Justice of the Peace F. K. Wise, Humble area Masons organized their own lodge in 1908. Humble State Bank president and future Texas Governor Ross Sterling (1875-1949) provided meeting facilities in the bank building which formerly stood at this site. After the bank burned in 1912, the Masons bought the property and built a new lodge hall. The Masons have been active in civic programs over the years.


Humble, City of - Humble (164)

A pioneer oil boom town. Originated as crossroads community named for settler Pleasant Smith Humble (1835?-1912), who lived here before 1889, hewing his timber into railroad ties, mining gravel from his land, keeping store, and serving as justice of the peace. Neighbors included the Bender, Durdin, Isaacks, Lee, Slaughter, and Williams families. Economic bases were farms and sawmills. The post office opened 1902. In 1904 C. E. Barrett (1866-1926) drilled for oil in this area, securing small production on Moonshine Hill. On Jan. 7, 1905, he brought in the No. 2 Beaty Well which yielded 8,500 barrels a day, opening the great boom. From a village of 700, Humble grew at once into a town of 20,000. Field production-- the largest in Texas for the year 1905-- was 15,594,923 barrels of oil. The field was named for the town. A group of its operators, including Ross S. Sterling, later (1931-33) governor of Texas, in 1911 incorporated a new oil company named for the field, thus spreading into the annals of world commerce the town's name. Production from several strata here exceeded the total for fabulous Spindletop by 1946. Known as the greatest salt dome field, Humble still produces and the town for which it was named continued to thrive.


Moonshine Hill - Humble (105)

Early reports of natural gas seepages in this area were not uncommon in the late 19th century. James Slaughter noticed such natural occurrences near the San Jacinto River in 1887. Several years later, with S. A. Hart, he set up a drilling operation in the area, but it proved unsuccessful. Charles Barrett, a former Huston merchant, also drilled wells here, but found the results limited. In 1904, the Higgins Oil Company brought in a major gas well and the following year, the first successful oil well was drilled. This area, known as the Moonshine Hill section of the great Humble oil field, became the site of a boom town. Within months of the 1905 discovery, the population of the Moonshine Hill settlement increased to 10,000. Early operations associated with the site included the Moonshine Oil Company of Walter Sharp, Ed Prather, and Howard R. Hughes. Although tents comprised most of the early structures, Moonshine Hill eventually included a church, school, postal station, stores, hotels, and saloons. Despite three separate boom eras, the last occurring in 1929, Moonshine Hill declined as a community. Its brief existence, however, had a dramatic impact on the economic development of Humble and Houston. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986


First United Methodist Church of Humble - Humble (86)

Founded in 1886, Humble was an oil boom town in 1907 when the Rev. J. T. Browning of Houston began conducting Methodist worship services for residents of the area. The services were first held in a building that had housed a bottle factory. In 1908, this church was organized with 37 charter members. The following year, the congregation constructed their first building, a small frame structure later destroyed by fire. Subsequent church facilities have reflected the continued growth of the congregation and community. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986


Lambrecht's Artesian Well - Humble (50)

An oil well drilled at this site in 1912 yielded not oil, but free-flowing artesian water. The following year, German native Nick Lambrecht (1855-1920) purchased the property. Lambrecht served as justice of the peace and mayor during Humble's oil boom days in the early 20th century and in 1904 had installed a water system to meet the needs of the many oil field workers who came to town. Lambrecht's artesian well was used to supply water to bathhouses and was also piped to nearby homes. In earlier years, water had been hauled to town in barrels on horse-drawn wagons. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986



National Historical Landmarks in Humble, Texas
State Highway 35 Bridge at the West Fork of the San Jacinto River**(added 1996 - Structure - #96001110) Also known as US 59 Bridge at the W. Fork of the San Jacinto R.;HR0177-06-
US 59, 1.4 mi. N of jct. with FM 1960, Humble

Historic Significance:
Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer:
Standard Construction Company, Houston Structural Steel, et al.
Architectural Style:
Other
Area of Significance:
Engineering
Period of Significance:
1925-1949
Owner:
State
Historic Function:
Transportation
Historic Sub-function:
Road-Related
Current Function:
Transportation
Current Sub-function:
Road-Related

 






ROS Top




SPONSORED:
Attorneys And Counselors At Law - Boudreaux & Boudreaux Logo Truwin - Windows, Doors & Siding  Logo Agape Garage Doors, LLC Logo The Framestead Group Logo Houston Oral Healthcare Specialists  Logo A Pro Master Electric Logo Get Well Health Clinic Logo Houston Family Eyecare  Logo Natural Forces Massage Logo The Nathaniel Center Logo
Sponsor an Ad »



See more of HumbleTX.com by logging in
Your online community neighborhood for Humble-area residents.
Kosmin Media